Not many people close to me have passed away, which i am very thankful for, but today marks the 2 year anniversary of a passing that really hit home to me. September 9, 2006. I will never forget it. I was sitting at home on my computer and I was just browsing myspace when i see this bulletin posted by a friend with the subject line saying "RIP Ozzie." I just couldn't believe it. I didn't want to believe it. Ozzie Vargas. 17 years old (my age). Senior at Apex High School (my school). Member of AOIT (a special program I was also involved in). Senior class president. Dead.My head filled with so many questions. Is it true? How did this happen? Why him? Why now? He has his entire life ahead of him. It shouldn't have been his time. That calander year was rough for AHS because we had already had 2 deaths and I didn't think it could get worse. But those deaths (as I'm sad to say) were because of stupid mistakes and bad decisions the people made. They could have been avoided. Ozzie's passing was out of his control. It wasn't because he did anything wrong or made a bad decision. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. For whatever reason, God picked that time and place for him to go home. Click here to read what happened. I would type it out but every time I try, the tears just flood my eyes and I can't continue.
Ozzie was an amazing person. So unforgettable. I met him the first day of my high school career. He was the class clown. Always had a smile on his face and knew how to brighten everyone's day. When you needed a hug, he was there. When you needed a laugh, he was there. When you needed a shoulder, he was there. He was also incredibly bright. He succeeded at everything he did, whether it be in the classroom or out. If he put his mind to it, it worked out in his favor. I saw his face every day for my first 3 years of high school as well as those last few months before his passing. I would walk by him, and it never failed, he was always smiling and we would say hi.
I will never forget the last week before he passed... we started this new thing on the morning announcments where someone would say the pledge of allegance and since Ozzie was the student body president, he had the duties of saying it. Well, Monday through Thursday, without meaning to, he would leave out a word or entire phrase and just throw off the whole thing. Firday, his last day with us, he finally got it right. And we all applauded him after. It's just a silly memory, but if you knew him, you would know why that was so significant. It was the little things he did that make me tear up when I think about his amazing spirt and warmth.
He may not be here with us on Earth anymore, but his memory still lingers over all of us. You really were blessed if you knew him. Ozzie, we miss you so much. Keep watching over us.
Love always,
Rachel
No comments:
Post a Comment