Tuesday, February 2, 2010

"blizzard" of 2010

I never believe the North Carolina weather forecast because 9 times out of 10, it's wrong. So when the weather report called for snow Friday and Saturday, I didn't get my hopes up. But as the old wives tale goes, 11 days after a thunderstorm in winter, it will snow...and sure enough, it was right. It started snowing around 6pm on Friday and didn't stop til Saturday afternoon. Then it turned to sleet and freezing rain. So we got about 3-4 inches of snow, and an inch or so of ice. What a great way to start off the weekend!!



I woke up Saturday morning to a beautiful blanket of white snow. In our breezeway, a part of it was covered in snow so I decided to do a little experiment. I took the kitties out in the snow. Kobie was first. She didn't really know how to react but she pawed at it for a little bit before running towards the door to go back in. Piper, well she was less adventurous. She wouldn't even let me put her down. So lesson of the experiment: kitties do not like snow lol


But I sure do!! I didn't go anywhere and wasn't going to brave the roads. Most of the day consisted of lounging in sweat pants, drinking hot chocolate, napping, and catching up on tv. That night we decided to have a few people over to play some drinking games. After a while, we wanted to go sledding. Problem: we are not equipped for heavy snow so we had no sleds. Solution: cooking trays...our cookie sheet and our pizza tray. lol it was actually pretty successful and we had a lot of fun but we did learn that the pizza tray works way better than the cookie sheet.


Here is a video of Olivia trying to go down the hill on the cookie sheet:

After a while, the trays were a little bent, and we were worn out and a bit chilly, so we headed in and called it a night. Sunday was spent much like Saturday - sleeping in, lounging, and drinking hot chocolate. Then the announcement came...Wake County schools closed Monday. I knew it was coming because the roads were so icy. Since I was supposed to spend this entire week in the elementary school observing and helping out in my 4th grade class, I lucked out and got the day off too. So Sunday night Olivia, Joey, and I went on a hunt for more hills to sled on. Only this time we weren't equipped with cooking trays...we had the sun shield that you use in your car window to keep the sun out. It works much much better than cooking trays lol and we found our new hill. The conditions weren't as good as the night before though because we had gotten so much freezing rain during the day. So the snow was pretty frozen, which made for a painful ride if you hit a big chunk of snow.


This "winter storm" has been pretty fun. I am getting sick of being stuck in the house though which is why I forced myself to go to work for a few hours today. But Wake County schools are closed again tomorrow...for the 3rd day in a row. So it looks like I'm going back to work again for a few hours. Gotta love NC and how they handle snow! lol and now they're calling for snow again Saturday. Now this time, I'm really not getting my hopes up.

No comments: