Monday, December 28, 2009

came and went

Every year, Christmas seems to come and go faster and faster. This year, it was especially fast. I remember Christmas shopping in a t-shirt and jeans. It was warm pretty much up until the week of Christmas which didn't really put me into the Christmas mood. And the music started playing right after Halloween this year, but I didn't start listening to it until probably the week before Christmas. Just as soon as I get into the mood, before I know it, it's all over. I saw this comic in the paper yesterday and it kind of reminded me of exactly how I'm feeling. Christmas is so overdone before hand that I'm just not into it and then once Christmas has passed, it's all gone. Just like that, at a snap of your finger. I almost wish they would play Christmas music til New Year's and leave all the decorations up just a little longer.


Overall, it was a great Christmas though. We spent Christmas Eve and morning at my parent's house. We went to church the night before Christmas as always and then had Hamburger Helper for dinner. It's always been our tradition. Why? I honestly don't know, but I take comfort in it and enjoy it every year. Then Christmas morning my sister woke us up at 8am and we went down and opened our presents - stockings first. then presents from Santa. then all the rest. It was beautiful chaos. I love Christmas morning. It's so much fun to see all the different colored wrapping paper fly every which way. After all the madness had calmed down, we had donuts for breakfast, our other tradition. Then we packed up the car and headed to Charlotte. Uncle Paul was hosting his first offical holiday dinner at his house. He was very excited. The house was beautifully decorated and the dinner was fantastic. He made a mouth-watering turkey that, as sad as I am to admit, trumps Grandma's at Thanksgiving.

Hope you all had a great Christmas and were able to spend some good quality time with your family. That's always my favorite part of this holiday...being able to spend some time with my family. I hope you were able to really remember the true meaning of Christmas over the holiday as well.

No comments: